- 12/11/2013 : Teenage pregnancies and contraception access under spotlight at global summit
- 06/11/2013 : More than 7 Million Girls in Poor Countries Give Birth Before 18 Each Year, Finds New UNFPA Report
- 23/10/2013 : New service uses mobile phones to reduce maternal mortality
- 15/10/2013 : India seeks to regulate its booming 'rent-a-womb' industry
- 14/10/13 : Major Announcements Boost the Last Stretch of the Health Millennium Development Goals
- 10/10/2013 : UN: Global Child Deaths Down By Almost Half Since 1990
About Women & Children First UK
Women and Children First (UK) is a UK based international development agency set up in 2000 to address the unacceptably high levels of maternal and newborn mortality and morbidity in poor communities in the developing world.
Since then we have established country programmes in partnership with local and national agencies and governments in Bangladesh, India, Malawi and Nepal.
We work to develop and share best healthcare practices to improve maternal and newborn health in poor communities. Our particular focus is on pregnancy and the first 28 days of life.
Our Vision is an equitable world where all women understand and exercise their right to health, and they and their newborns enjoy optimal wellbeing.
Our Mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of women, girls and children in poor and marginalised communities with an emphasis on pregnant women and the first 28 days of the newborn’s life.
Women and Children First works in partnership with NGOs, governments and academic institutions to promote innovative, low cost solutions designed to reduce maternal and newborn mortality and increase wellbeing for women, girls and newborns. We develop and share best practice through extensive monitoring and evaluation of our work and disseminating lessons learned to health officials, policymakers, parliamentarians, other practitioners and advocates to ensure research findings are applied to policy and practice.
In partnership, we improve the health of mothers and their newborns by:
- Community mobilisation
- Health system strengthening
- Capacity building
- Policy, advocacy and dissemination of lessons learnt
BBC Radio 4 Appeal – Sunday 8th DecemberKathy Lette, bestselling author, writer, social commentator and Patron of Women and Children First, is to present our BBC Radio 4 Christmas Appeal.
The Appeal will be broadcast on Radio 4 at 07.55 & 21.26 on Sunday 8 December 2013, repeated Thursday 12 December at 15.27. Please visit the Radio 4 appeal website on Sunday or donate direct to us.