- Empowering communities to improve maternal and newborn health - Esther Sharma, Trustee, reports
- Why I support Women and Children First – Our Patron Sir Sabaratnam Arulkumaran speaks out
- It's official - Women's groups saves lives
- Women's groups recommended by WHO as an intervention to cut newborn deaths
- UN says Millennium Development Goals for maternal and child health are not being met
- 10/07/2014: Women's groups recommended by WHO as an intervention to cut newborn deaths
On September 28th, the United Nations Human Rights Council adopted a resolution reaffirming the importance of addressing maternal mortality and morbidity, and calling for direct action to save mothers’ lives. The resolution calls for the development of practical guidance, through an expert workshop, to assist States, the United Nations system and all stakeholders in applying human-rights based frameworks to programmes and policies aimed at preventing maternal death and disability.
This expert workshop will be open to government bodies, regional organisations, relevant UN agencies and civil society organisations, and will incorporate recommendations from the report developed by the Commission on Information and Accountability for Women’s and Children’s Health.
All language editions of the resolutions are available here (the letters on the right under “Documents” refer to the different languages)
Read more about this article.