- Women and Children First launches Cherish Another Mother campaign to stop mothers dying
- 20/02/2014 : New programme in Uganda funded by Big Lottery Fund
- 28//01/2014 : MPs vote on development bill to tackle gender inequality
- 24/01/2014 : Universal Health Coverage an essential means of achieving post 2015 health goals
- 21/01/2014 : Large returns from small investments in women's and children's health
- 03/01/2014 : In 2014, it's unacceptable for girls in Malawi to be unable to go to school
Thank you. You have played a significant part in helping 162,530 mothers and babies, and saving over 5,000 lives. Will you continue to save lives through helping Women and Children First?
Your support has helped people like Sharmin Akter, a young Bangladeshi woman, safely deliver her baby daughter, Halima. Because members of Sharmin’s women’s group chip in what they can to an emergency fund, and because they were able to recognise danger signs during Halima’s delivery, the women’s group were able to persuade Sharmin’s husband to take her to hospital and lend him the money to get there. Without the women’s group, Sharmin’s story would be very different.
We urgently need your continued support. Look around you at all the parents you see today – you would be surprised how many of them would tell you that had they given birth in, say, Malawi, without all the easy access to ante and postnatal care, either they or their baby could have died, or suffered long term health complications. In Ethiopia one woman in 27 dies in childbirth. These deaths are preventable.
The low cost, tried and tested method of women’s groups will work in Ethiopia, but Women and Children First need the funds to set it up.
You can help in so many ways:
- Make a regular monthly donation
- Donate your Christmas card money or the cost of one less Christmas present
- Challenge yourself in the new year – give up smoking, get fit, get your friends to support you
- No money or time? We have other suggestions!
- Sign up for Give as You Live - every time you shop on line, most retailers will donate a small percentage of what you have spent to Women and Children First.
I wish you and your loved ones, peace and health in the festive season and the coming year.
This Mother's Day - please help us cherish another mother
Last year, with your help, we saved 5,000 mothers and their babies.
Please help us do the same again this year by joining our Cherish Another Mother campaign.
Make a donation in the name of the mother in your life who you cherish and send her one of our Mother's Day cards to share what you've done. Read more.