Women and Children First works primarily in poor rural communities in Africa and Asia to improve the health of women, children and adolescents. We support the formation and facilitation of women’s groups using a participatory learning and action approach that empowers communities to take action to improve reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health. We also promote improvements in the quality and accessibility of reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent care provided in health facilities. We support our partners to advocate at local and national level to strengthen policies and provide adequate resources for reproductive, maternal, newborn child and adolescent health.
Our priority is to work in settings where inequalities exist in reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health.
We focus on enabling women, children and adolescents to survive and thrive, and transform their lives:
- Survive – our work reduces maternal, newborn and under-five mortality and the prevalence of HIV, TB and malaria
- Thrive – our work seeks to reduce malnutrition, promoting universal access to sexual and reproductive health-care services and rights, good quality early childhood development for girls and boys and universal health coverage
- Transform – our work contributes to eradicating extreme poverty, eliminating harmful practices and discrimination and violence against women and girls and achieving universal and equitable access to safe and affordable drinking water and to adequate and equitable sanitation and hygiene.
We have six strategies which will work towards achieving our Mission and contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals:
- Increase the scale and impact of our work to improve maternal and newborn health
- Increase the scale and reach of the women’s groups approach by providing Technical Assistance to other organisations
- Build southern partners’ capacity to influence policies and funding for reproductive,
- Innovate and evaluate the women’s groups approach
- Ensure the required financial resources are in place to deliver the Strategic Plan
- Ensure optimum human resource is in place to deliver the Strategic Plan.
Read our full strategy here.